Carpe Diem

- Seize the day in Latin

Name:
Location: Singapore

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Stupid, stupid, stupid

About 2 weeks ago I handed in my application for DPA (Direct Poly Admission) to Ngee Ann Mass Com. The procedure is that they review your application, and if it gets through, you will get a call sometime between the 2 weeks to come down for an interview. The results of the interview will be posted on the 13th of August.

My long waited call came last Friday to come down for the interview. I was really excited because I knew this was something I always wanted to do. I know that Mass Com is a very up and coming and has a lot of competition, so having to even be able to be called down was something I really did not expect.
But the real suprise was really the interview. My interview was held yesterday in Ngee Ann FMS(Film Media Sound) building at 5. I reached there half an hour earlier and waited till 545 anxiously before they called me in. I tried anticipating what they would ask and I even went to research on the course and wrote down notes. But the one thing I really did not anticipate was current affairs.
At first when I got called into the room I was feeling OK. I was facing 3 people (lecturers I presume). 1 person typing out whatever I said and the other 2 interviewing me. Everything was going OK and I made a few blunders here and there, but the last question killed all means of me going into Mass Com.
When I told the lecturer that I wanted to be a journalist when I grew up, she asked me, "So if you were a journalist now, what exciting news would you report about?"

I was absolutely stumped. I'll be honest- I don't read the paper at all. I do not read the newspaper at all. I have no idea about anything that has to do with current affairs. So many thoughts were running through my head and I started to hesitate. I immediately talked about the American election because that was something I was more familiar with. But then she prompted me saying, "How about something a little bit more closer to home?"

I gave the best answer. I said "Uh... I don't know."

And there it was. My dreams practically falling apart the moment the words escaped my mouth. I remember the look on her face when she prompted me again saying, "Nothing at all?"
And I said no.
I know, I know, I screwed up. I got enough of that from my friends and family asking me all these questions and telling me what I should have said. I feel angry at myself for not mentioning something like the NDP Parade or the recent rise in property investments. I knew all of this. My mind was just totally blank and I feel useless now.

I don't want to see the results on the 13th. I already know I'm not getting in.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you take a risk, there is always a chance. A hope. Don't beat yourself up over it. There always is, if nothing else, Hope.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you never know what the future holds for you.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home